Saturday, August 3, 2013

It's August and time for another update.

Progress since my last post has been slow but steady. A lot has been happening. We shall start from were we left off in my last post. The Dashboard.


The Finished Mould
 
 





 
The Finished Product

I did finish my mould and made a fibreglass copy of it. The copy came out really good for my first attempt at fibre glassing. I sanded the whole lot down and gave it 4 coats of primer, then sanded all the primer down to a smooth finish.

Then it was time to choose a color. What I wanted was a space grey non metallic color (same color used by BMW), but while at the paint shop the guys told me that it was impossible to make a metallic color into a solid color, so I decided to have a go and try a base coat clear coat system (same as what cars are painted in. I was terrified at the idea but I must say this was the easiest paint job I did so far and the result surprised even myself.







Also in the meantime I installed the engine and bolted it down permanently. All that is left is minor adjustments and install the leg






The boat did not come with any engine covers so I decide to make my own bench seat that goes all the way across the boat  which acts as an engine cover and storage.
I first made a simple reverse mould using melamine, followed by a coat of gel coat and 5 layers of chopped stand mat.








No comments:

Post a Comment